Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What the hell is going on with American bladders?

I have to admit that I'm astounded. I turn on BBC America for a little tellie and what do I see: a commercial for catheters. A very straight-faced woman is speaking into the camera telling us how her previously having to "reuse" catheters caused bladder infections --- surprise, surprise! And then she urged people to call the company advertising to buy catheters that are covered by some sort of government program so that they will never have to reuse their catheters again. She says this "changed my life."

Okay. But really, are there so many individuals in need of catheters to warrant a television commercial on BBC America? Exactly how many orders could a commercial like that generate?

And it can't just be people with bladder problems that are being appealed to but very low income people with bladder problems who have a penchant for watching British television. I say low income because curiosity got the best of me and I checked; a box of 30 catheters come out at 59ยข each. And unless I accidentally stumbled upon the cheapest source in the country I would suggest that they could be found even cheaper.